Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thoughts on Personalities

I used to have a poem hanging on the inside of my bathroom door. I don't remember what it was called or even who wrote it. It was about how each person starts life with there own personality. That we are all born with our own strengths and weaknesses. In many ways my children are very alike. They have similar life experiences and interest but completely different personalities. Thank Goodness. It would be boring if they were all exact clones of each other.
A few weeks ago on a sunny clear February afternoon. I told the boys that as a treat we would be going to the beach. Nate my oldest said, "mom can we go to the library instead?" What, the library! I am glad that my children are interested in learning and love to read. But really the library instead of the beach on a sunny clear February day (those don't happen very often). The teacher and the binge reader in me was very proud, but the rest of me was thinking is this kid crazy. I realize that the best solution would have been a book at the beach. The boys decided to just stay at home and play around outside. They were not interested in the Beach. It is almost tragic how rarely we go to the beach. I am often surprised by how different my children are from each other and sometimes from me. I guess we do all have our own personalities.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

your boys probably like to go to the beach as much as my kids like to play in the snow in March - they will go out in November like crazy, but after 5 months of it, there isn't a whole lot of interest - However! I miss the beach terribly and can't imagine not wanting to go!!! :) Hug your boys for me!!!