Friday, March 7, 2008

Thought on the Raccoon in the Laundry Room

Yes! There is a raccoon in the laundry room. For any one who sees this post and thinks gosh that's cleaver a raccoon in the laundry room this must be a metaphor for life. No I am not being cleaver there is a giant raccoon in the laundry room. Maybe not giant but does a raccoon in your laundry room really need to be giant to BE giant. NO! I guess I should start at the beginning.
I live in the country, my family has an acre or so of forest behind our house. Actually "we" have about two acres, but there are several more undeveloped acres of forest behind our house. Our laundry room has a cat / dog door that we inherited from the last owner. The opening in our laundry room door would fit a Golden Retriever or a Black Lab. We have a cat who is getting up in years and we keep the cat food in the laundry room. I noticed few months ago that Zoie the cat seemed to be being beaten up by something. This is not new but what ever she was fighting with seemed viscous. I also noticed that her appetite seemed to have changed. She was going through cat food like crazy.
So, one night a few months back at around midnight I opened the door to the laundry room and there was a giant Raccoon hissing at me. I started screaming my head off and slammed the door. Holy Crap there is a raccoon in the laundry room! My three older sons jumped out of bed to come to the rescue with baseball bats while my sweet husband slept soundly. I am not exaggerating the raccoon was the size of a Black Lab only much fatter. It was much bigger than my sons who came to help me. It could have taken them out easily. I have had a long standing fear of raccoons and possums. They are EVIL. When I was little my parents sent me out side to the freezer to get some juice when I opened the door to the freezer a raccoon that had gotten stuck inside jumped out at me (this was enough to scare the crap out of even the bravest little girl).
We had not seen my dear raccoon friend for awhile. Lets call him Ricky. So last night I went to change a load of laundry. As I opened the door I heard a large crashing sound as something that was not my cat jumped out the cat door. On the floor I found a container of cat food with the lid open sitting in the middle of the floor. Zoie is pretty talented and I am pretty sure she can open the door into the kitchen, but I know that she can not unscrew the lid of the cat food. My guess is that Ricky is back or a homeless midget snuck into the house to steal the cat food. What do you think?
You might be wondering how exactly could a raccoon in your laundry room be a metaphor for life. For any one who asked this question here you go.
The raccoon could be a reference to all of the things that sneak up on us without our consent and try to cause havoc in our lives. The raccoon in my laundry room could be a reference to my eternal struggle with the laundry. The laundry is always building up on me and taking over my life. We have six people in our house it doesn't matter how much laundry I do their is always more. It could be a reference to any of the many responsibilities and deadlines that sneak up on all of us. My life is often filled with many Raccoons usually they have not literally snuck in the cat door to steal food. But they are real all the same. How should we deal with the raccoons in our lives?

1 comment:

Meg said...

A little more background information on my dear raccoon friend Ricky. I forgot to mention how devious the raccoon had to be to get into the cat door. We used to have a deck off of the cat door but right now there is a four foot drop from the cat door to the ground. There is a latter. Who knew that raccoon's could climb latter’s?