Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thoughts on Momnesia & Cloning

I am not sure if anyone else out there has this problem. My children look alike. I think they might really be clones with slight genetic variation. Although I can attest that they are not clones, because I remember being at each of there births very distinctly. My children especially look alike as babies. I was looking at some baby pictures of my children recently and had to ask which child was in the picture because I was not sure. Ben is the only one that looked a little different as a baby. I really can't remember what he looked like as a baby at all (other than he was and is beautiful). I was looking at a picture of a baby at my in laws house a while back and asked who it was? I mentioned that Ben had an outfit exactly like the baby in the picture as a baby. My mother in law looked at me for a minute and then said, Meaghan that is Ben. Oh! At a baseball game this week when I glanced on the field to try and figure out where my kids were playing. I looked up and thought I saw Ben playing one first base. It took me a whole inning to figure out that I was actually looking at Nate and that Ben was in the outfield. Oy! If you are thinking that I might be having problems with my eyes and that I should go to an optometrist. My eyes are fine. My children just look very similar. I am not sure how people with triplets do it. I think it might be momnesia. Momnesia is believed to occur in mothers shortly after childbirth and it causes mental fuzziness and memory loss. USA Today reported on the condition on March 4, 2008. Researchers are unable to explain the way that motherhood affects a woman's memory but they are in agreement that a pattern is evident. Research has also shown that although fathers don't undergo the same severe changes that women do however they do experience a slight change in hormone levels. I am a big fan of momnesia and believe in it completely. Darin says it is a bunch of malarkey and I need to stop making excuses for being forgetful and unobservant.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I may not be a mom yet...but I completely believe in Momnesia. I have seen the signs of it many times!

Leslie said...

I haven't heard the official name of Momnesia before, but I have been living with it for 10 years! Finally a diagnosis!!
I love this post ~ I may have to lift parts of it..

Leslie said...

it also makes me think of a magnet I've seen and love, which is:

As soon as I remember your name, I'll ask you where I put my keys