Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thoughts on Friends and Casual Friends

Since this blog is for me to share my thoughts and discussions with myself. I thought I would actually share some of my inner dialogue. Inner dialogue you say, yes I have it not all the time but occasionally.
After getting my hair cut I went to the store to get essential short hair stuff. I was looking at a shelf or curling irons. And saw a curling iron with bristles sticking out like a round brush for curling your hair under. I looked at it and thought that is exactly what I need and then I remembered a comment Leslie made on this blog a few weeks back about an unfortunate experience I had with a bristlely curling iron in high school that got caught in my hair and had to be removed with fingernail clippers and a screw driver. I had completely forgot this ever happened until Leslie mentioned it as a response to a post. How do you forget getting a curling iron caught in your hair for two and a half hours! I am really not sure, but I did. As a was making Bacardi virgin strawberry daiquiri mix yesterday I was again reminded of Leslie. She introduced me to virgin strawberry daiquiris.
Then I started to think of how odd it is that we have some friends that we have forever and some friends that are just casual friends that really never make it to the friend- friend (or true friends) stage. I feel like most of my friends now are in the casual friends category. Although I have several people that are part of this casual friends category some of them know more things about me that my friends do. Is this weird? They know odd things that you might share at bridal showers or as part of party games. Is it odd that I would share things with casual friends that I have not shared with my friend- friends. Does this make me a bad friend? I hope not! I think it has to do with context. I don't usually call by buds and say, I had the most embarrassing experience! But these things come up in social situations. My core group of friends or friend - friends is made up of a few cousins, friends from high school, friends from college, sister in laws, my first teaching jobs, joy school and Eryn one of my current links to sanity.
I have decided to share some of my embarrassing experiences on the blog to help let go of this guilt. THIS is my most embarrassing experience of ALL time: (now I feel ok sharing this because I know that the only people that read this at all are my friend- friends)
Here goes... Lets set the stage properly. It is my wedding day! Well my wedding night to be more specific. We get to our room where we will be staying the night and Darin goes off to the restroom while I changed into something more comfortable. As I waited for Darin to come out I tried to get into a sexy position on the bed. Feeling pretty silly and a little uncomfortable I tried to get into a comfortable position. As Darin stepped out of the bathroom. I fell off the bed landing on my head rolled over and ended up sprawled at his feet spread eagle. Very unlady like. I was mortified. Darin was a complete gentleman. He picked me up and put me on the bed made sure I was ok. Then he said, he needed to get something from the car. I found him ten minutes later sitting outside our room laughing hysterically. For ten years or so anytime I tried to wear anything suggestive Darin would burst into hysteric laughter. So there it is out there. When my mom heard this story a few years ago at a bridal shower she could not stop laughing. She called her sisters to share the story she thought it was so hilarious. I think she even called my brothers. So embarrassing!

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

OK, I love that he was sweet enough to go outside to laugh at you. That's awesome. :)

Leslie said...

Good times!!! We were going to the movies in Salinas, and we made it - a little late, but we made it! Some year when I run across my journal, I will see if I wrote down which movie it was. I am so happy that even though we are so far apart that we still get to be friends.. I need to give you a call ~