Friday, March 14, 2008

Thoughts on Grandamas and Han Hays

On March Third I wrote a post about some of my favorite places. One of the places that I listed was my grand parents’ living room. I had been thinking a lot about my grandparents and especially my grandmother that week. Some of you might read this and think Meaghan you must have more than one Grandma (True). But in my mind my Mothers Mom was Grandma and my Fathers Mom was Grandma Sherlie. My Grandmothers birthday is in a few days. "Grandma" (Joyce VanNoy Hilton) was born March 17, 1921. She was a St. Patrick's Day baby.
With out realizing it I posted the blog about some of my favorite places on March 3rd the day my grandmother died. No wonder I was thinking about her all week.
She died in 1995. I am not sure if I can say one thing that made my grandmother special to me. I loved her and she loved me there was never any question. We just loved each other and I will always miss her. She suffered with Parkinson diseases and it was hard to watch her body suffer. She went into the hospital about a week before she died. The doctors said, "that she would probably not make it through the week." I made the drive from UCSC (Santa Cruz) to Oakland four times that week. After my classes, work and studying I would hop in my car and drive up to Oakland spend about two hours with her in her hospital room and returned home. I would sleep two or three hours and start all over again. My friends took turns ridding along with me. They were worried I would fall asleep or that something would happen to me. They were great!
It was finally Friday after a very long week. My plan was to stay at my grandparents for the weekend so I could be close to the hospital and grandma. My friends convinced me to go to a church dance at the Blossom Hill Building on the way to the hospital, so that I could relax and unwind. While at the dance I had a very strong feeling that I needed to get a hold of my grandmother right away. I searched the building frantically and couldn't find a phone (what did we do without cell phones). I was starting to freak out when one of my closest friends Jason offered to drive me around looking for a pay phone. We found one at the Mc Donald’s on Blossom Hill and 85. Jason got out of the car and stood with me while I called my grandmothers hospital room. When I called my mother answered the phone (there was a lot of talking in the back ground). I heard my mom say, “Mom Meaghan’s here now she is on the phone and she wants to let you know that she loves you.” Then everything got quiet in the hospital room. My mother then said, “She is gone, she was waiting for you.” I think that this says more about the love I have for my grandma and the love that she had for me than anything else I could say. She was a sweet heart and I love her.
As I think about the last week that I spent with my grandma I think about my friends and all they did for me. Han Hays, Jasons, Daves and Jennys Thanks! You always gave me a place to crash and a hug no mater what no questions asked. Without you guys I couldn't have never made it through college or survived being engaged to my hubby. To my college buds I pose these questions: What if we are Watermelons asleep and dreaming? Are we all living in Denial, or if we were in De-Nile wouldn't we be all wet? Are we all really mutants?
I can’t take a bubble bath, make a two AM grocery run, have Marianne’s or Ben and Jerry’s , eat monster cookies, get milk shakes from Denny’s, watch the sunrise, see the Bay on a perfect clear sunny Sunday or write a totally bogus paper without thinking about you. Thanks for the Procrastination Club. I salute all the alumni of the NP Club even if I was not an official member. I love U guys. DUCKS are EVIL (raccoons TOO). Lastly may Exavior live forever.

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

Oh Xavier Shaakenzaakenbaaker, what a hero you were to us all. And what if we ARE watermelons, asleep and dreaming? Would Elvis care?

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to Grandma Joyce! I love you Meg.